In Emergencies: Caltech Security
In the case of emergencies occuring on the Caltech Campus, call Caltech Security at 626-395-5000 or simply 5000 from any campus phone. Additional relevant phone numbers can be found on the Caltech Security web page
If the emergency occurs off-campus, call 9-1-1.
Caltech Campus Maps
- Online: http://www.caltech.edu/map/
- PDF: CampusMap-CGWAS.pdf
- PDF map with businesses/dining information: Caltech-Pasadena-2sided.pdf
Internet connection during CGWAS
Wireless networking will be available in all CGWAS venues. All participants will receive connection information in their registration packages.
Checking into Caltech Housing
For those CGWAS participants who have opted for Caltech campus housing:
- If you arrive during normal business hours (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm) Check in with the housing office, Center for Student Services, Building 86 (http://www.caltech.edu/map/).
- If you arrive on the weekend or early/late: Check in with the 24-hour Security Office, first floor Holliston Parking Structure. Building 66 (http://www.caltech.edu/map/).
Getting to Caltech from LAX
It is about 30 miles from LAX to Caltech/Pasadena. We strongly advise against taking a taxi cab -- this will cost you around $100.
There are two good alternatives:
- Fly Away Bus and Gold Line:
Get on the Fly Away Bus to Union Station on the LAX arrivals level. You will need a credit card and pay the fare ($8) when you arrive at Union Station. From the Bus terminal, walk towards Union Station and look for the Gold Line, which is the metro line that will bring you to Pasadena. At one of the ticked vending machines, get a TAP card and load some money onto it to pay for your ride. A single ride is $1.75.
If you are staying at the Saga Motor Hotel, get off at Allen Station in Pasadena and walk ~15 minutes. If you are staying on the Caltech campus, it is best to get off at Lake Station and walk ~17 minutes.
- Super Shuttle
Super Shuttle offers rides from LAX to Pasadena in large vans. You should pre-book a spot at supershuttle.com. Caltech's street address is 1200 E California Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91125. The charge is around ~$30. You board the van on the LAX arrivals level. Look for the Super Shuttle signs.
CGWAS is supported by the National Science Foundation under CAREER award PHY-1151197, by the Sherman Fairchild Foundation, by LIGO Laboratory at Caltech, and by Caltech.